FAQ #1 & #2: Why is it so hard to reach you? Why can’t I just stop by and see the dog or cat I want?
Shamrock does not have a brick-and-mortar building. We are not an animal shelter and we do not have a kennel. If you are looking for a dog or cat you can come see and pick up today, we are probably not the organization for you. Shamrock takes care of behavior and medical issues before any of our animals are put up for adoption, and we are very interested in their future.
We are a rescue group located in Louisville, Kentucky whose mission is to enhance the lives of companion animals through proactive programs such as spay/neuter, public education and adoption options. We are a group of highly committed, unpaid volunteers who have a passion for our mission and its goals.
All persons involved with Shamrock are volunteers…meaning they volunteer their time to do paperwork, monitor our phone lines, foster animals in their homes, fill in when we need help for our fundraisers, determine what we can do medically to help an animal, and numerous other tasks. Many of them have full-time jobs as well as volunteering for Shamrock.
That being said, we do our best to make contact within three to four days when someone leaves a message at our office number or sends us an email with a request or a question. Emergency cases have first priority.
FAQ #3: Do you do long-distance adoptions?
No. We are a local rescue serving the Louisville, Kentucky area. We do not do long-distance adoptions and we do not transport our animals.
FAQ #4: What is your adoption process?
The short version is:
- Interested party looks up our website to see if any of our adoptable animals are of interest and to read their bios (information on the animal we collect from the foster family with whom they are living).
- Interested party fills out an application and submits it to Shamrock (as directed on the cat and dog sites).
- Shamrock volunteer will verify we received the application.
- Shamrock volunteers process all applications that come in for each animal.
- If the interested party’s application indicates it is not a good match, a Shamrock volunteer will contact them and explain the reason they have been denied.
- If a good match is found, a Shamrock volunteer will contact the prospective adopter to set up a meet-and-greet and a home check.
- If the meet-and-greet and home check go well, a two-week trial period at the new adopter’s home will help determine if the animal is a good fit for the family.
- If it is a good fit, the animal has found their new forever home.
- If it is not a good fit, the animal is returned to Shamrock and we try again.
We do our best to fit the animal to the potential adopter and family. That can often take some time, especially when we have multiple applications on several animals. So please be patient as our volunteers are working as fast as they can to get our animals into wonderful forever homes.
More information can be found by clicking on the “Adoptions” tab.
FAQ #5 Cat adoptions
Shamrock Cats available for adoption can be seen at:
Baxter Ave Feeders Supply at 315 Baxter Ave Louisville, Ky 40204
Middletown Feeders Supply at 12949 Shelbyville Rd, Louisville, KY 40243
Lucky Cat Cafe at 2230 Dundee Rd, Louisville, KY 40205
Applications available at each site